March 18th, 2020
Passover is an opportunity to reflect on our journey from enslavement to freedom. To recognize the forms of oppression that still exist towards animals, workers in the food system & the environment today, it only fits to eat vegan during this holiday. Read on for tips & recipes that will guide you towards having a fulfilling, plant-powered Passover.
- Guacamole tastes great on matzah!
- Use quinoa like you would use rice.
- For protein, focus on nuts, quinoa & high protein vegetables.
- Indian spices and dishes such as Aloo Gobi (cauliflower and potatoes) can make a vegan Passover much more delicious! Indian food can also be made in advance and served over quinoa.
- Many soups can be already Passover appropriate, such as tomato-basil soup or zucchini soup.
- Various configurations of vegetables – esp. onions, carrots, potatoes, zucchini, squash, mushrooms, etc. – can be either oven-roasted with spices or put in a stew with tomato sauce and served over quinoa.
- Most of the items on the Seder plate are already vegan: charoset (substitute agave for honey), maror, karpas and chazeret. That leaves the zeroa (shankbone) and baytzah (egg). For the zeroa, The Talmud mentions that one of the sages, Rav Huna, used a beet to symbolize the Passover lamb. So, a beet slice is an acceptable, animal-free substitute. For the baytzah, If you view the hard-boiled egg as a symbol of renewal, then a flower is a beautiful and cruelty-free substitute.
Check out this booklet of easy-to-make Passover recipes provided by Los Angeles based caterer, Ariel Freda here!
- Banana Matzah Farfel Muffins – Contributed by Estelle Posner
- Cinnamon Raisin Quinoa Granola
- Sephardic Haroset (Charoset) Bites
- Eggplant “Parmesan”
- Passover Vegetarian Kishka – Contributed by Estelle Posner
- Vegan Jackfruit Brisket
- Apple-Pecan Vegan Haroset
- Matzo Brei
- Mini Potato Kugels
- Eggplant Casserole
- Cashew Cheese – can be spread on matzah and tomato sauce for Matzah Pizzas!
- Vegetable Farfel Casserole – Contributed by Estelle Posner
- Zucchini Kugel for Pesach – Contributed by Estelle Posner
- Chocolate Truffle Pie
- Chocolate Toffee Matzo
- Banana Walnut Ice Cream
- Orange Cashew Dressing/Dip – Contributed by Estelle Posner
- Raw Brownies – Contributed by Estelle Posner
VEGAN PASSOVER COOKBOOKS
- Vegan Start Passover Cookbook by Rena Reich
- No Cholesterol Passover by Debra Wasserman and Charles Stahler
Leave a Reply