August 2nd, 2020
As COVID-19 cases are on the rise again in the United States, we hope that you are continuing to stay well and healthy.
We are excited to announce some wonderful ways that we hope to help you stay busy and connected this summer! Below you’ll see information about:
- Our upcoming webinars with delicious food demos from Chef Megan Tucker along with information on previous webinars that you can still watch.
- Our participation in the Six-Word Memoir ® Project where we invite you to share yours with us. We would love to hear from you!
- Information about Shamayim programs opening for applications. We’d be very appreciative if you’d serve as our ambassador and make sure that your synagogue knows about the Synagogue Vegan Challenge and any college students you know are aware of the Shamayim Campus Fellowship. We are taking these programs remote and virtual as they need to be!
- If you wanted ever wanted to purchase Unreal Deli’s amazing plant-based corned beef, we are now an affiliate of theirs and your purchase will provide a donation to support our programs.
We look forward to engaging with you as we put together more remote content and programming to support our growing community. We’d love to hear from you.Summer Speaker Series
Mark your calendars for July 16th and 23rd at 9AM Pacific/Noon Eastern for sessions two and three of our summer series with Megan Tucker, professional chef & owner of Mort & Betty’s vegan Jewish deli, for a two-part series on making classic Jewish foods with hearty plant-based ingredients and indulgent flavors.
Whether you’re feeling nostalgic for Jewish comfort food or just curious about how to replicate eggs with aquafaba (yes, juice from a can of chickpeas!), this workshop will enhance your culinary skills and help you satisfy those Jewish food cravings at home.
Part 1 on July 16th: Deli Salads & Salatim On the Plant-Based Table: How to prepare delicious Jewish deli & Israeli salads using plant-based ingredients
Part 2 on July 23rd: Plant-Based Eggs, Unscrambled: An overview off plant-based egg substitutes in cooking & baking, from aquafaba to vegan retail products.Six-Word Memoir ® Project
Submit your Six-Word Memoir anytime in July and be entered for a giveaway of a FREE Jewish holiday calendar art print from Jewish Food Hero! The randomly drawn winner will be contacted in early August.
So often, many of us are the only vegan or vegetarian in our families, our congregations, or our Jewish communities. We invite you to share your experience about this BUT, it needs to be stated in six words only! Please share your Six-Word Memoir with Shamayim: Jewish Animal Advocacy as we work to build our growing Jewish veggie-oriented community. The entries can be humorous or heartfelt. We want to hear what your story is – the story of the intersection of your Judaism and your plant-based eating.
Six-Word Memoirs® is the creation of Larry Smith of SMITH Magazine. Upon hearing the legend that Ernest Hemingway was once challenged to write a story in six words, Larry Smith asked his community to describe their lives in exactly six words.
The Jewish Community has launched their own question which asks, “what’s the essence of your own or others’ Jewish life in six words” and there are thousands of entries from the recent submission of “Empty synagogue. Bar Mitzvah in quarantine” to the whimsical “If this is life, then l’chaim!”
Shamayim is asking you to write the six-word memoir about the intersection of two of your identities. We can’t wait to hear what you come up with. By submitting an entry, you are agreeing to have your name and submission published on our website.
To start us off, Shamayim’s Director, Lisa Apfelberg, is sharing hers. “I eat plants. They don’t. Painful.” We can’t wait to hear yours.
What We’re Reading:
What We’re Cooking:
- Chef and vegan of 30 years shares her top 5 plant-based recipes to make at home—with ‘healthy, simple’ foods
Leave a Reply